Data Analyst Resume  - Guide & Examples
Data Analyst Resume - Samples & How to Guide
Data Analysts, who work with “big data,” are needed in every industry, so those with the right training are in high demand!
Data Analyst job descriptions may include responsibilities and skills like:
- Translating numbers into meaningful facts for businesses to help them make better business decisions.
- Dealing with sales figures, market research, logistics, and/or transportation costs, among other things.
- Strategizing on how to solve expensive problems.
- Providing expertise on data storage structures, data mining, and data cleansing.
- Adhering to guidelines about keeping data confidential.
You’ve got the education and you feel ready to do all of the above, so what’s the next step? Writing your resume, of course!
Writing a resume can be intimidating, therefore, for inspiration you can check out the following Data Analyst resume sample!
What Companies Expect to See on a Data Analyst Resume
Entry-level Data Analyst resumes require a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (like math, statistics, computer science, finance, or information technology) and senior Data Analyst resumes require a Master’s.
Obtaining additional certifications will give your resume a boost in the eyes of potential employers, so make sure that you are continuing your education and keeping up with new developments!
Remember to always look back at the job description and use some Data Analyst resume keywords in your resume.
Contact Information to Include on a Data Analyst Resume
Resumes used to include someone’s full address, but that’s no longer the case—all you need is your city and region.
Now, the primary means of contacting someone is digital or by phone. Give potential employers access to the facets of your online presence you want them to see.
Maybe your Tumblr doesn’t belong on your resume, but your Github page full of code very well might.
Data Analyst Professional Summary
Resume summaries replace the traditional resume objective. It’s more effective to give your potential employer a short “elevator pitch” about who you are and what you do than to give them a statement about your goals (which are pretty obvious if you’re applying for that position).
A Data Analyst summary for a resume should include some insight into who you are as a unique individual, which might not otherwise come through on your resume.
Data Analyst Resume Summary Example - Right
- Thorough and meticulous Data Analyst passionate about helping businesses succeed. Former small business owner and recipient of an MBA. Possessing strong technical skills rooted in substantial training as an engineer.
- I am an enthusiastic Data Analyst with a long history of being interested in math and science. I was the accountant for a friend’s lemonade stand in the third grade. Since then, I’ve gone on to do fundraising for the high school drama club and got an internship at a company owned by my mother’s friend. I’m a Virgo, so you know I’m going to be very careful! Thanks for reading my resume!
Formatting a Data Analyst Resume
Once you have your header and your resume summary, it’s time to move on to the meat of the content. Begin by choosing which sections you want to include. (You can always change this later!)
Obviously, you need a Work Experience section and an Education section as well as a Skills section (which should appear near the top!), but the rest of the sections can be toggled to best reflect your skills and history.
Since Data Analysis is a technical job, it may be a good idea to include a section of Technical Skills adjacent to your more general Skills section. You also may have done Volunteer Work or independent Projects that you can include.
Achievements for a Data Analyst Resume
Under each entry in Work Experience, most people write responsibilities and duties they had at a particular company. Instead, it’s much more effective to write about what you achieved. Use numbers wherever you can!
Also, make sure that you’re using strong verbs.
Examples of Achievements for a Data Analyst Resume - Right
- Completed market analysis, resulting in a 21% increase in sales.
- Used SPSS and MiniTab software to track and analyze data.
- Conducted research using focus groups on 3 different products and increased sales by 11% due to the findings.
- Spearheaded data flow improvement.
- Developed Key Performance Indicators to monitor sales and decreased costs by 17%.
- Did market analysis.
- Used computer programs to deal with data.
- Focus groups.
Data Analyst Resume Skills
Hard Skills for a Data Analyst Resume
- Relational databases
- Problem solving
- Pattern and trend identification
- Data quality assessment
- Database design and management
- Data mining
- Tech support
- Survey creation
- Advanced Microsoft Excel functions
- Business intelligence
- Programming languages
- System administration
- Quantitative Methods
- Data warehousing
- Regression analysis
- Data technologies
- Data science research methods
- Experimental design & analysis
Soft Skills for a Data Analyst Resume
- Public speaking
- Clear writing
- Critical thinking
- Attention to detail
- Risk assessment
- Report writing
- Training and instructing
- Reducing jargon
- Teamwork & collaboration
- Project management
- Decision making
- Time management